If the miles behind me could be put into words before you, you would feel my efforts, my struggles, my desires. Most of all you would see my joy. Watch me from afar run the trails and hills and miles upon miles and you will see ...

Friday, November 6, 2009

Another Wet One

I'm not a weather-watching freak or anything but I generally like to know what's going to happen a couple days ahead. Now, like everyone else, I know not to take a five-day forecast to heart (or a four-day, or a three-day, sometimes not even a two-day forecast) because it is rarely accurate. So when I looked at the long-term weather a week ago on the internet it actually showed the 7th to be sunny. I fell in to the trap. I actually started thinking that we may not get soaked tomorrow. Of course, two days after that it was supposed to rain. Two days after that we had rainfall warnings up to 50mm Friday and Saturday. I don't know what's easier: preparing mentally knowing it will rain for sure or waking up on the day and finding rain. I think I like to prepare for the worst, hope for the best, then if maybe we get breaks in the rain it'll seem like a gift. This will be my 4th H2H and the 4th to be done in wet conditions. Maybe I do better in the rain, considering some of my other 100ks.
Monday also saw the approach of a scratchy throat, indicative of an oncoming cold. Immediately I started pounding the vitamin D and C, more than normal. The Metric concert on Tuesday didn't help with it being a late night and not enough sleep being had. I've been trying to catch up ever since. Now today I rush around like usual getting my stuff together at the eleventh hour, hopefully not at 11pm tonight.

2 comments:

Scott Corsie said...

Good Luck old boy. Have fun and remember it's only 100K, how wet can you possibly get in 7 1/2 hours.
Metric hey... you're cooler than I thought, or were you chaperoning? Hahaha, I crack myself up. Cheers...

Rob said...

Darin - congrats on a great race. Those were tough conditions (for me anyway!).

See you on the trails in the new year, Rob.