If the miles behind me could be put into words before you, you would feel my efforts, my struggles, my desires. Most of all you would see my joy. Watch me from afar run the trails and hills and miles upon miles and you will see ...

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Heat Aclimation

So I've been hitting the sauna every day for the last week for varying times. Usually for 30 - 35 minutes. There are two saunas at the South Surrey Pool: one that's hot, and one that's unbelievably smokin' crazy hot. I've been going into just the hot one for 25 minutes or so, then hitting the really hot one for 5 - 10 afterwards. It's all I can do to stay in there. I've got water and gatorade with me but after a few minutes I can't sit still and feel the need to run out screaming to the cold showers. Hopefully it'll help somewhat if it's hot in Greece. I figure I'll get up to 45 minutes a day combining both and I should be good. Last week wasn't the smartest workout: upper body weights - 45 min, eliptical workout - 45 min, 30 min sauna, 10 min Hades sauna, and a cool down with 5 min in the hot tub. Needless to say I had a headache and was dizzy for a little bit. I was sweating for a good hour afterwards, much more than normal.
A couple days ago was a 4:10, 125km bike ride with arm and leg warmers on to keep in the heat. The day after was a 2:30 run complete with running tights and two layers of shirts (on long sleeve) in the middle of a 30 degree day. That got some strange looks by people in cars passing by. It was good though because I felt okay, only a bit fatigued from the bike the day before and the fact I haven't run that long on the road since April. The next day wasn't as bad as I thought - quads were good and no shin pain. Still just a little nagging twinge on the lateral side of the right knee that isn't an issue when running although I can feel it. The next day it's only a bit achy.
Doesn't look like much chance for heat training this week so we'll be layering up to simulate. The end of the week sees me doing a 6 - 6.5 hour run, going to return to the trails for that one. Nothing too technical but still lots of elevation.

No comments: