If the miles behind me could be put into words before you, you would feel my efforts, my struggles, my desires. Most of all you would see my joy. Watch me from afar run the trails and hills and miles upon miles and you will see ...

Thursday, February 7, 2008

(Don't) Let it Snow, (don't) let it snow, (don't) let it snow

Okay, I'm not a scrooge when it comes to snow but like most on the west coast, I like to see it come, maybe stay for a few days, then melt away and have life return to normal. This winter has been unusual in the amount of days it's actually snowed. It may stay for a day or an hour. Annoyingly unpredictable.
For the past few years, snow would mean that I had to either wait until later in the day to ride or couldn't at all or had to go on the wind trainer. This year, being a running year, means that I can't hit the trails up in the mountains like I usually do. I remember running through Chuckanut two years ago in February getting familiar with the course. It was beautiful and best of all, no snow. I was there yesterday and only half way as high as I was going to go and there was already six inches of snow with more coming down. As beautiful and peaceful and enjoyable as it was, there was no way I was going to do much in this. It was fresh snow on top of already frozen and slippery stuff. I made it further up where the snow was almost up to my knees. Of course looking for something different I headed further up the hill to see what it was like to go through stuff like that. Good thing for the gaiters or it would have been even colder and wetter than it was. I had to run down and stay in the lower, gloriously muddy, trails afterwards. Here's one guy thankful the groundhog didn't see his shadow.

No comments: