If the miles behind me could be put into words before you, you would feel my efforts, my struggles, my desires. Most of all you would see my joy. Watch me from afar run the trails and hills and miles upon miles and you will see ...

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Long Ride


So in my prep for two half-ironmans, one in June and one in July, and ultimately Ironman in August, last week I completed my longest ride of the year - a whopping four hours. I always find I ride better mentally after not being in the saddle for a couple days. Sort of renews the interest and excitement because going out too many days in a row just drains me all around.

The Cramerotti tri-frame I've been riding the past few years usually makes my back ache if I push too hard too long in the aerobars. I figured today would be the usual: feel strong for around ninety minutes and then need to stretch every ten after that. Don't ask me why but I felt great the whole way. I had a tailwind going east and did a 45 minute tempo ride and figured I'd get crushed as I turned around to come back west. There was a bit of a headwind on the return trip but it was going more north-east so I didn't get the usual brunt of it. I was powering into it and my average speed didn't drop very much. I ended up with 132 km over the four hours and having been aiming for around 120 I was pretty happy.

Of course Tuesday's ride sent me right back to reality. I was set up to do a two hour bike and a thirty minute run as five minutes easy, twenty hard, and five easy to finish. I felt awesome as I went out along the rural roads of south Langley but again had the ever-present east-blowing tailwind. I knew this time I would get hit hard on the way back so I turned around a few minutes before one hour. It's a good thing I did as there were lots of uphills coming back and the wind was the worse I'd ridden in in a long time. I was grateful for the dump trucks flying by me and giving me a few seconds of pull in their huge wakes.

Not sure if it's the run I did the day before, being tired, or a different type of positioning when riding into the wind but something makes my motivation drop and I want to just stop. I guess tomorrow I'll try riding north/south and hopefully get less wind. Living on an western-most point, it's tough not to do ANY east or west riding. Oh well, train for the worst and hopefully race the best.

No comments: