If the miles behind me could be put into words before you, you would feel my efforts, my struggles, my desires. Most of all you would see my joy. Watch me from afar run the trails and hills and miles upon miles and you will see ...

Friday, February 20, 2009

Close To Home

Yesterday I was out riding my bike when my good friend Evelyn called on the cell. I don't usually hear the phone when I'm riding, but I'm glad I did this time. I came to a stop on the side of 24th near 192nd st. She asked me if I read my emails this morning. Right away I knew it was something bad, don't ask me how, I just knew. I said I hadn't seen my emails since around 9am. She broke it to me that Doug Preston, whom we used to ride with a few years ago (and whom I hadn't seen in a year, but she talked to him at Costco a couple weeks ago) was hit head on by a car while riding his bike down Old Yale Road between 128st and Scott Road on Wednesday. He was killed instantly. If anyone knows that stretch of road it's a very steep hill and one can easily reach speeds of 60kph or more. Apparently the woman who hit him had fallen asleep at the wheel and drifted across the road and hit Doug. She had two small children in her car so it would have been much worse for her had she hit a car instead. It's strange to think that literally one or two seconds sooner or later and he would have either had more time to swerve out of her way or she would have drifted across the road behind him. I know how your reactions suffer at high speeds and I just hope Doug didn't have too much time to consider what was happening.
Needless to say I was not in the best mood for riding after that but as I continued on I thought a lot about Doug, life, and how things can change literally in a heartbeat.

1 comment:

Gary Robbins said...

Hey Darin, not sure what to say here. Never easy, and an all too common occurrence amongst road riders. That is a truly incredible and tragic time frame that it all seemed to happen in. I'm sorry to hear of it. Hope his family is well.
GR