If the miles behind me could be put into words before you, you would feel my efforts, my struggles, my desires. Most of all you would see my joy. Watch me from afar run the trails and hills and miles upon miles and you will see ...

Friday, October 31, 2008

My First Time

No, no, not THAT first time!!  

Last night I was honoured and privileged to do a little talk on Spartathlon at Track and Trail Runners in Richmond thanks to Colin McKay of Precision Health.  Colin is a member of the running group and thought they would enjoy hearing about some of the things I experienced while in Greece. Having never really spoken to a group about my running endeavors, I didn't know what to expect but I don't think anyone was sleeping through it.  I have to say that forty-five minutes of talking mixed with some videos and pictures did not do the trip justice but I think they got the gist of it.  Everyone seemed to enjoy it with lots of good questions coming from the runners, not just the usual, person on the street's, "That's f*ckin' crazy, man!!",  so that was nice.  Another good one was, "What have you done to recover from the race?".   Well it was a little embarrassing to say that I haven't been doing much and that my Italy run might be a total disaster, so I just said that I "still wasn't recovered".  

On that note, my longest run since Greece has been 2 and a half hours, 20 miles, and it didn't feel so good.  For some reason the middle toe on my right foot feels like it's the longest one of the bunch and has that "squished against the front of the shoe" feeling when I run.  I've tried to tape it but still haven't found the right combination of socks and taping.  That being said, my IT band sometimes hurts and sometimes doesn't so with some rigid stretching hopefully I'll survive.  I do feel like a slug having no real training plan in place but for the time of year it shouldn't be a big deal.  

It's crazy that I need to start thinking about next year already.  The sign-up for the Zane Grey Highline Trail 50 Mile Run is tomorrow so I may sign up just to secure one of the 150 spots.  Bruce Grant got me interested in that race when I read his race report from last year.  It ain't for the faint of heart.  I like the quote on the FAQ link:

"4. I've never run an ultra before.  Would this be a good first ultramarathon to attempt?  
NO.  Even the most experienced ultramarathon runners have difficulty completing this event. Combining the elements of a difficult terrain, heat, elevation, challenging navigation makes this not a good choice for a first-timer."

There you go - that's why I want to do it.  

As a last note:  Why do I always sign-up for a race right around Halloween??  Those little candies and chocolates are calling me day and night.  I guess it would help if we didn't buy them two weeks before the 31st. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's my belief that Snickers and Kit-Kat are just as healthy as Chicken and Rice. This belief may have something to do with my ability to run no faster than "slower than a shifting glacier".
Good luck in Italy, have fun... I feel your (foot) pain.
Scott