If the miles behind me could be put into words before you, you would feel my efforts, my struggles, my desires. Most of all you would see my joy. Watch me from afar run the trails and hills and miles upon miles and you will see ...

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Streak is Broken!!

After nine and a half days, I finally did a cardio workout!!  Sure, I did some weights and core work, but tonight was the first real workout.  Nothing major, just forty-five minutes on the eliptical, not too hard, not too hilly, just a nice mix of everything.  The reason for the gap in training was the slight toe-nail infection and really sore quads.  Add to that the lack of any race on the near horizon.  Add to both the fact that the Christmas treats are out in full force with still a week to go before the big day, and that makes for a perfect storm of gluttony and laziness.
I'm not sure what my last record was for no workouts, must have been after Haney to Harrison in '05 because of the toe beating, but I'm sure it wasn't almost ten days.  It was definitely time to get off the couch and away from the feed trough as after my little stint of exertion tonight, I weighed in at 176!!  Holy crap.  For me that's approaching orca territory.  So close to Christmas I'm faced with a dilemma:  say screw it and keep on indulging and get serious after, or start slowing down now to see if I can find my willpower.  With no event for a month, and that only being a training "race" of 20km, I can, and need, a break.  It's been a long year and this is as good a time as any.  

No comments: